Monday, December 3, 2007

Doing well...

Today...I sat with one of my current bosses and listened to some advice...parting advice...since I am leaving that position roughly at the end of this week.

I say roughly because although my last day in one of his classrooms will be at the end of this week...I have papers...so many papers...to grade for the students...so he is checking in on extending my last pay period by a week so that I can get paid for finishing the work...instead of making him do it LOL...

Anywah...he tells me that in the year and a half that I have worked there...teaching for them...he has never had one student complain about me. Not even one! I was thankful to hear this and really pleased. I mean...I didn't expect a lot of complaints...but heck...not even one?!? WOW! He told me how much he has appreciated me and reflected on his hiring me...saying it was my personality that sold them. He could joke with me and I with them (he and the other deans)....and they felt like I would bring in that way of being into the classroom. He was absolutely right of course. Several times with my first four classes I asked for his advice on different things...and he told me several things that all seemed to boil down to one assertion...just...be...yourself! He was and is...sooo right about that.

As I listened to him today...he tells me that I am gold now...with my graduate degrees and teaching and counseling experience...I can get a management position at a community college or university. Pull in more money and move up. It was really nice to hear and I felt like it was just at the right time for me. The other thing was it was unsolicited. He just opened up to me...about me...and I appreciated it.

He has always treated me well and I have always felt good about that relationship. He gave me a shot...and I ran with it...and it is tough giving it up now. I told him that I was really struggling with the decision because I really don't want to leave it behind. He said well...call me in a couple months and we can reevaluate...he said I am welcome back there any time I please...with open arms. That was really nice to hear...it really did feel good to be valued like that.

So why am I not staying? I keep going back and forth about it. I am starting my new job with the county as a clinician on the 10th. It is a good job and will give me that oh so hard to get and ever present pain in the neck piece of getting licensed...my precious hours...with lots of supervision...AND...I will learn....learn a ton...and quickly...so it is good...really good...but I am still going to moonlight a couple nights a week. As for now it will be doing the domestic violence groups...it is just down the street and it does actually pay a little bit better...and I will look for an online teaching gig...something I can do from my home computer.

But it is hard...giving up the classroom...and as rewarding as doing those groups can be...it is a tough choice. But it is one that I feel I had to make...for money....for experience...for convenience...well...maybe that is really what it is...I will see how it pans out for a while and reevaluate as he suggested. It is just nice to be valued by one's boss. It is a good example for me to follow in the future...when I have employees of my own. I guess for now...I will just appreciate that next week I start a whole new journey...and support Heather in her new journey...which she started today! Go Heather! She's a manager for the city now! It's good to be the King!

3 comments:

The Sarah Bear said...

Manager for the City? Well... not exactly :) I am part of a Management Team though :) Thank you babe for supporting me...from the very moment the alarm went off this morning ::grin::

I also want to say - WOW to you on your accolades. I can say that there is no doubt Dr. Willis was/is proud of you. You are a born teacher and your students love you. I know this because when we run into them at Target, a restaurant, the street... they all say so! And why wouldn't they? You are truly amazing when you teach. I wish you could do THAT full time. (someday)

I also want to remind you to live by your words. Dr. Willis did something that is pretty darn cool. He talked to you and genuinely praised you. Pass it forward babe. Find someone and let them shine. Be honest to them and tell them why they are vaulable. Pay it forward babe, it blesses them and you.

I love you. All of me, loves all of you.

Gina said...

Well wishes today!!!! Hope you enjoy and report!!
G

Anonymous said...

You write very well.