Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wrong number...

This blog is a little different but I felt like I just needed to share...and for some maybe warn a bit...

I know that most everyone is aware of what some people do with the cameras in their cell phones and texting...and as long as they are consenting adults...hey...it's a free country...have fun if that appeals to ya...go for it...but...one suggestion here...make sure you dial the right number when sending private photos...because one digit off...and you could be sharing yourself with anyone out there.

I was the recipient of one of these types of texts...four actually...three pics and a follow up question...Hmm says me....

Last Wednesday I am minding my own business driving Sarah home from swimming class and my phone starts going off...blowing up...and I wondered what was going on...is Heather trying to get a hold of me or is someone in trouble or what....

I was close to home so I just waited until I pulled in the driveway...I didn't want to be checking text messages while driving...and as I am getting out to go around the car and get Sarah out...I open it up and WHOA! Who is she...she sure looks like she is having fun and all...but why am I WHOA! close up...um...why am I getting this?!?...WHOA! even closer...yikes! Of course this stops me in my tracks....before I get to where Sarah is in the car and get her out...I can't have this open on my phone around her...I click the next one and it is just a question that is something like...hope you like...send me one of yours....or whatever...and I am thrown...WTF?!?

I get out of the texting part of my phone so that Sarah won't see anything she shouldn't...and get Sarah inside and send her to get her swim suit off and go in to show Heather what just came over my phone...she looked and started deleting and asking me questions...LOL...and I told her what had happened...

Now a few things occurred to me here. I don't have any idea who this is...in the pics one could see everything there is to see...except her face...and so I have no idea...who they are...how old they are...who they are trying to send this to...why I got it...and then it occurs to me...this might not be coming from the girl in the pics...it might be coming from some guy who is sharing photos of someone he has been with...whatever...and he is trying to share this with a buddy or whatever...

I dunno...Heather deleted 3 and I deleted the last one and we talked a bit about it...but I gotta tell ya...there is a part of this that really bothered me.

One...I didn't want my wife thinking that I had anything to do with receiving these pics...it was random and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. That's why I showed her myself and talked to her about it because I didn't want her to see anything and come questioning me...thinking I did anything wrong.

Two...I don't know the age of the person and thinking that it could have been a minor makes me sick to my stomach...not only for seeing it but for the person in the pic as well as her parents.

Third...if this was some guy spreading pics of a girl that let him take pics of her so that he could share them with his buddies...at least without her knowing...I know some people do it...but it isn't respectful to her...not cool...

Maybe none of this was the case...maybe the girl was sending something of herself to a boyfriend or spouse...trying to spice things up...maybe...actually...I hope so...but the other possibilities bother me....and I felt bad for her because I know I wasn't the person she meant to see those pics...I am thinking...it was a wrong number.

DOH! LOLOL...Yikes!

So for those that text...be careful opening up things from a number that you don't recognize...like Forrest Gump said...ya never know what you're gonna get...and secondly...parents...of kids that have cell phones...with texting and a camera...take a look through your kids' phones regularly...make sure they aren't doing anything like this...talk to them about it...even if they are in college...talk to your kids about this...cause...welp....they never know who is looking in on what they send out...especially if it is a wrong number or on someone else's phone...and they send it out to share without her knowledge...even if they "think" they can "trust" that person.

Things that me ya go Hmm...
DOH! LOL...

1 comment:

Thomas (& Laura) Hodge said...

Wow - thanks for the heads up!