Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Teacher learns twice...

Today I got to honor someone for doing the right thing in a moment where they did not feel like doing the right thing...because they were emotionally hurting...and someone else had said something that triggered them....but they got up and did what they knew was right. They showed someone respect even when they themself felt disrespected. So...I honored this person publicly for it. Afterwards...I honored them again...privately for it...so that I could make sure they had gotten the message...and it did them good...I could see it in their eyes and hear it in their voice.

It made me think about what I do...and the way that I do it. I travel down my path often thinking that what I do...the way that I do it...is not really that consequential...that although I do matter in the big picture...I sometimes am not making the impact I wish I could. Then I come upon a moment where I do something instinctively...because I feel I should in a moment...and then I step back and see the impact on someone else.

Maybe the impact will be lasting...maybe it is fleeting...I don't know...I may never know...but I know I made a difference in someones life tonight...and maybe several someones...and from that...I take away an impact with me...on me....it has impacted me and in my life. The impact that helping others has on me is something that I can not measure. I have tried to find a way to measure it...but have not found it yet. I just know...that when I tell someone else a truth...it comes back to me...teacher learns twice...and thank God for it...because I have sooo much to learn...there is soo much I don't know...we are all teachers...we are all counselors...we are all healers...we are all students...and I find myself hungry to learn...and be....more...

No comments: